Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 290

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

BOOK OF DEATH #1 COVER. 2015.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board with digital color, 11 × 17″.

Book of Death #1 comes out today, and you can see a preview here. I had the privilege of designing the look for one of the stars of the book, a character named Tama. I won't go into the details of her origin (in case you haven't read the The Valiant) but originally I was going to give her a wet suit of some kind. You can see my inspiration board below, including lots of dreads. (She's also based on my wife as a little girl.)

In other exciting news, The Valiant got a Harvey nomination for best mini-series! Aaaand, my Dad got nominated for Best Inker once again. Congrats, "grandpa!"




inks by my Pops


blue-line print of pencils


pencils over digital print


digital layout


character studies

3 comments :

  1. Hi Mr. Paolo Rivera, I have a question. Why changed the lower lip from the blue-line print of pencils to the inks? Thanks in andvance and beautiful work man. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Cause my Dad is lazy!!! (I have no idea. Sometimes he misses things. Looks like I missed it too!)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mr. Paolo, anyway is still an excellent artwork. Regards.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.