Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 224

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Daredevil #26. 2013. Ink(ed by Joe Rivera)
on bristol board with digital color, 11 × 17″.

This may have already hit shelves, but if you somehow missed the issue, I highly recommend you rectify that situation. Mark Waid ties up a lot of loose ends in the issue and leaves us clamoring for more. And the art, as always, is perfection. Here's a preview. I provided the variant cover, so this one may be a bit harder to find.

The figure of Daredevil was mostly drawn from imagination, with the occasional glance at my hand. (The nice thing about sketching digitally is that I can reflect the art so that I'm always drawing my left hand from life.) Aside from my folder of rooftop pics, the only other reference I used was provided by Marvel: a character model for Iron Man's newest suit by Carlo Pagulayan.


Black and yellow, black and yellow...


inks by my Paw
blue-line print

I colored DD's grappling line magenta so that the radar portion could be easily selected. I also digitally "inked" DD's outline for the same reason. As you can see from the final image, I removed the contrail from Iron Man's repulsors — purely for aesthetic reasons.


pencils over digital sketch
digital composite


















The perspective grid was created digitally using my template. It's color coded, which is especially helpful for 3 vanishing points. I isolated the grid below to show it more clearly (I also changed the ground plane to a checkerboard pattern). As you can see in the digital composite, I cover the bleed with a gray border. This keeps me focused on what matters while ensuring that all the important shapes won't be trimmed off. I always draw with the trade dress, but because it's a variant, I needn't have worried about the Marvel Now! banner across the bottom .


digital perspective grid
digital layout



4 comments :

  1. Hello,

    Please where is it posible for me to find a digital perspective grid like yours ?

    Thank you very much for your all sharings. Your knowledge ,curiosity to help to create is very impressing.

    Have a great day.
    Take care.

    Hervé

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hervé, that's my own custom perspective grid that I hope to release through Kickstarter this year. No exact date yet, but I'm itching to do it. The main thing I have to do is create an instructional video. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Rivera! Awesome work as always. I really enjoy your step by step process posts. I think that anyone who does not understand what goes into commercial art, would gain an appreciation after reading your posts.

    As a side note, do you have a downloadable perspective grid and checkered plane? Or would be willing to post a tutorial on how to create one? I think it would help a lot of artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Antonio! My perspective grid project is still in development. It's ready to use, but tough to get the hang of, so what we're waiting on now is an instructional manual. I hope to have it ready for release before the end of the summer.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.