Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 149

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Daredevil #3, Page 17. Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

I never thought the day would come, but I'm having a harder and harder time finding "wacky reference." Since I don't paint as much now (and can draw better than I used to) I have less need for it than early on in my career. That being said, I'll keep posting pics as long as I've got 'em. Nowadays, it seems I only take pics of hands (and only for poses that I can't draw from life).

The buildings in the background are mostly based off of Google Maps and Street View. You won't find this exact shot anywhere on their servers (although it's probably just a matter of time); rather, I use real intersections as inspiration to "beef up" the detail of my initial concept. By the way, the secret to drawing vast cityscapes is to cover most of the windows with anything you can, from characters to signs to inset panels. There. I said it.


"Hello? Yes, I'm taking pics of myself undressing."

In other news, I just finished my 75th cover for Marvel: The Twelve #10, starring Electro. I had a lot of fun painting it and it should be solicited shortly. Just one more to do and that'll wrap up the whole series. I've also started on Daredevil #7, the cover for which should also be posted soon. And by the way, Daredevil #4 comes out today, featuring the marvelous Marcos Martin. It's well worth the cover price (full disclosure: I read it for free).


1: Layout, 4 × 6″  2: Pencils  3: Blue-line print with digital borders.


3 comments :

  1. How big is the final art created? 11x17?

    Do you print out the blue lines or does your inker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, standard Marvel board. And my dad prints it out after I send him the blue-line file. Sometimes, I'll even add pre-inked elements such as Daredevil's chest emblem that we've done before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paolo for the info.

    I really love your work.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.