Figure Painting

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Figure Painting Detail (Session 3 of 3). 2010.
Gouache, watercolor, and acrylic on paper, 12 x 9".

The final session of figure painting included beer and pizza, so fun was had all around. Hopefully, it won't be another 7 years until I paint from life again. The lighting was a good deal different from the previous 2 weeks, so I salvaged what I could (the room doubles as a gallery and was in the process of being prepared for an exhibit). I concentrated primarily on the face and hands, though the background and feet received some attention as well. I used my new brush, the Silver Brush Limited Black Velvet #10, a great (cheap) alternative to Winsor & Newton's Series 7.

I hope this looser (and decidedly opaque) paint handling can find a way into my professional work, but it's tough when deadlines are tight and mistakes cost time. Despite that, I do have a series of covers that allow for some experimentation, so I'm excited about the opportunity.



I'm dabbling quite a bit lately with a host of different projects, mostly covers, but also some new territory. I'm afraid the perspective series is going to have to wait—there's simply too much that I want to say. In lieu of that, I'm making progress on my image search post(s) and should have that ready after the New York Comic Con... only a week away now!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments :

  1. That's a wonderful painting. I can't express how much I admire your use of color. I always have so much trouble with it, but it's just something I have to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING painting !!!! love you art so much! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really a beautifull painting, it is really inspiring. Painterlly and full of life. I love that you are working from the live model . Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, guys! I'd love to do it again... just gotta make time.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.