Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 102

Tuesday, April 13, 2010


Daredevil #507 Cover. 2010. Gouache and
Acryla Gouache on bristol board, 11 x 17".



This cover was kind of a rush job, but I managed to finish it just before my trip to Providence earlier this year. Upon it's completion, I wasn't a big fan , but it's grown on me in the interim. I guess you can't go wrong with ninjas.

Otherwise, "OMIT" is going well. Finishing up a cover right now (one more to go) and inking up a storm. The project should be officially announced this weekend, so keep your eyes peeled.



Beware the screwdriver!



CMYK Version


Despite my knowing better, I used a green from outside the CMYK gamut. The printed version will be a far cry from the electric lime I used in the original, which is shown in RGB at the top of the post. The image directly above, while in RGB, was first converted to CMYK to approximate the printed page.



Preliminary Drawing. Pencil




Digital Color Study, Revised. Photoshop.



Digital Color Study. Photoshop.

4 comments :

  1. Hey Paolo! This is really cool. I took a little while to really look at what is going on in the piece and I love the ninja stars in the handles and how the rope is blocking the sai. I like the touch of the sonar background too. The complimentary colors turned out fantastic. This is a marvelous work, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sketchguy! That's a lot of things for you to be liking and loving. Much appreciated! Hopefully, there will be some more Daredevil covers in my future, post OMIT. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole RGB to CMYK conversion can be a bit confusing, but hey that must be one of the many challenges with coloring digitally for print. So do you color RGB then convert to CMYK?

    Or are you only converting to RGB for displaying on the web?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I color in RGB, then convert to CMYK just prior to saving the final file. That seems to be the only way Photoshop can calculate the appropriate ink levels. As for web, I usually convert back to RGB in order to approximate the look of the printed file. In this case, I showed both options, which explains the discrepancy between greens.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.